Your proposal for a new school will take the form of a structured forum post that you will post on the LMS (so other students can read about your new school proposal) AND also submit as a formal assignment using the LMS's "Assignments" web page (for formal grading by your TA).
In writing your forum post/assignment, follow the structure below. Include headings for:
- Proposed By: Insert your full name.
- Name of School: Choose a name for your school which is compelling and expresses something about its unique features.
- Grade Levels: Indicate the grade levels the school will serve. You can propose a school for elementary (JK-8), secondary (9-12), young children (e.g., JK - 3), or any other grade range that seems appropriate.
- Unique Features: What is unique about your school that sets it apart from a traditional elementary or secondary school? This is probably the most important section. Therefore, you should put a lot of thought into it and reference the unique features (as appropriate) in other sections.
- Curriculum: Indicate the subjects, issues, and/or skills the school will emphasize. You are welcome to emphasize one or more aspects of Ontario's elementary or secondary curriculum or go beyond the Ontario curriculum to emphasize different topics and/or skills.
- Teacher Characteristics: Assume that teachers will need to apply to work at the school. What are some of the teacher attributes the hiring team will be looking for that aligns with the unique features of the school? (Optional: You may want to draw on the course content for Week 5.)
- Organization of Students: Describe how the students will be organized in the school. By grade? By gender? By shared interests? In some other way?
- Facility Requirements: Indicate whether your proposed school will have any special facilities that are not normally found in schools. This section is optional.
- Other Comments: Add any other comments you would like to note about the school. This section is optional.
It is required that your school proposal incorporate one (or more) ideas from each
of Weeks 8, 9, and 10. As evidence for this, include three brief
quotations (no more than 40 words each) from the course content for Weeks 8, 9, and 10. A reminder that Week 8 focuses on an economic
role for schools. Week 9 focuses on an equity
role for schools. Week 10 focuses on a personal development
role for schools.
A rubric for this assignment can be found in the course outline which is available on the LMS.